Welcome to the Old Town
Old Town remarkable for its urban development and architectural monuments it was declared as the preservation zone for the sake and protection by Ministry of Culture on the 22nd of September in 1995.
Legend of the establishment
According to legend, written by Jan Pavel Bílek, there was battle at today´s suburbs Old Town between the Czech prince Břetislav and Moravian Margrave Otto II. on 15th August 1099. In place of battle Otto had built a chapel and dedicated it to Virgin Mary Assumption, as an expression of thanks for his victory. In 1121 expanded the chapel to the church and the adjacent settlement of the town Telč elevated. The church became a center of spiritual life for the whole area and is said here that the Czech King Přemysl Otakar I. prayed there before the expedition to Austria in 1225. Although no preserved written document to confirm the reputation, the city of Telč regularly celebrates anniversary connected with the foundation the Church of Mother of God in the Old Town.
Look into history
In the heyday of Telč, in the second half of the 16th century, today´s Old Town were two urban complexes. Part of the city closer to the nucleus, called a dike on suburb of Upper Gate, was inhabited by craftsmen - draper, carpenter, lather cutters, shoemaker, cooper, brewer and a hatter. In the first half of the 17th century for both the suburbs began to use one name Old Town.
Walk through the Old Town
Below the upper gate begins the path leading along the "Staroměstksý pond" called Na Dlážkách. Already in the early modern period it connected Old Town with the town center suburb. Believers were passing way journey to the church of Mother of God. To this day it is used by local residents and tourists. In the Old Town we find many important monuments and attractions.
Around 1820, a hospital chaplain Ignatius Chornitzer left to cover untidy way with stone slabs. After that the way came to be known for the label Na Dlážkách.
Jesuits decorated the way of nine sculptures in the years 1750 - 1770 the author is likely sculptor Kašpar Ober. Near the last statue on the Old Town square in front of the cemetery is located portal sculpture of the Annunciation with the Archangel Gabriel and the Virgin Mary and the column in 1673 with Immakulata with a halo.
In crossing streets Hradecká and Na Hrázi is Anguish of God from granite in 1485, one of the oldest in the Highlands. It was built supposedly by Jindřich IV. from Hradec on the occasion of his appointment as supreme valet Kingdom of Bohemia. Notable early baroque Anguish of God with elements from the Renaissance period around 1690, found at the crossroads the road to Dačice and Radkov. They show the extraordinary stone art of local artisans.
Mother of God Church
Old Town is dominated by Church of the Nativity and Assumption of the Virgin Mary called the Mother of God Church, founded probably in the 13th century and in the 17th century it was rebuilt in simple Baroque style. In tower is the oldest bell Telč from year 1515 by Jan from Meziříčí.
Chapel of St. Roch
On Old Town graveyard was built Chapel of St. Roch to commemorate the end of the plague epidemic in 1652. Nearby stands a late Gothic stone pulpit. The cemetery has tombstones found in the 16th century and tombs of important people.
City hospital, retirement home today, was built by Zacharias from Hradec in 1579. The village built hospital chapel dedicated to Baby Jesus in 1769. The chapel is the only surviving Baroque painted wall in Telč.
Its existence is documented in writing as early as 1533, since the early 19 century it became part of the factory soft cloth Jakub Lang. In the years 1863 - 1945 was Podstatský-Lichtenštejn who rebuilt it to its original purposes. It is currently undergoing reconstruction. Old dam in a steam mill pond was graced by a statue of St. Jan Nepomucký from 1673.
New Jewish cemetery was established in the year 1880 ( old cemetery near the village Myslůvka about 5 km from Telč), so here we find the newer gravestones, the latest from the late 90th the last century.
A pleasant and interesting walk prospects to the Old Town provides a natural park Oslednice. In 1898 professor Alois Kulhánek built on the top Oslednice a wooden tower, destroyed in the early 20 century. Lookout tower was restored for tourists until the 2000.
Legend of Devil Footprint near Telč
In the Old Town of Telč once lived a wealthy neighbor Bárta. He was grumpy to domestic servants and bad husband and father. He lived only for richness do not anyone any good and so devil looked forward to his soul in hell. Once Bárta was seriously ill, felt that death is close by, began to repent of their deeds and ask the Virgin Mary, Mother of God, for help. She was sorry for him. Bárta was reconciled with all people and gave up the soul. The devil was waiting for this moment but the Virgin Mary was quicker, grabbed Bárta´s soul and covered it with her cloak. The Devil himself could not cover amazement. When he realized that he lost the soul and he will be tried for in hell, full of anger he stamped his feet into the rock. Today devil´s foot footprint can be seen in a rock at the Old Town pond.
This project is co-financed by European Union.