Town and history

Town and historyDear visitors let us invite you to stroll along the historical center of the town. This little guide will lead you on the way to the harmony of the richest beauty with history. We believe that you Telč address its unique atmosphere.

Starting point  - the central park
2. Chateau Park and Greenhouse
Over the entrance gate to the park stands the building of the glasshouses. It was founded in the early 19th century in the classical style. The facade bears the hallmarks of Leopold II. - Podstatský - Lichtenstein and his wife. The officialson the reverse side of the park in 1806 to build a memorial in honor of the count Leopold I. The chateau park planted with rare trees it is an attractive place for relaxation.
3. Chateau
The original Gothic castle was in the second half of the 16th century into Zacharias of Hradec in the imposing Renaissance mansion. The final form of the castle grounds impressed by the Italian architect Baldassare Maggi of Arogno. It is one of the best preserved Renaissance architectural complexes in the Czech Republic with a rich still preserved interior (paintings, graffiti, stucco, wood carving), valuable furnishings and a beautiful arcaded courtyard and a Renaissance garden. 
4. The Church of st. James
Parish church with a 60 m high tower was founded together with the town. Its present appearance came in the mid-15th century. Inside the church are valuable Gothic frescoes and rare Baroque organ 1725. The tower bells are preserved the names of James and Mary from the 16th and 17th centuries. In the cloisters of the church and hall they are placed a memorial plaque to the victims I. and II. World War.
5. "Boarding school of angels"
Originally Malthouse after the arrival of the Jesuits to Telč circa 1668 mansion Convents, schools, church singing and music arising from the foundation of the Countess Frances Slavatová. In later years a dwelling house for the estate officials. Currently after careful restoration of the building including the garden Konvikt is the seat of Education and Conference Centre, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
6. Jesuit College
It was built between 1651 - 1655 and also served as a Jesuit college formation of the third test. Over the 119 years of the Order in Telči it underwent several thousand Jesuit novices. After canceling the order in 1774 the building was used as barracks since 1883 for schools and local burghers. The ground floor has a cross vault the original facade was preserved only the entrance portal dated 1654 restored cellar Baroque hall serves as the college auditorium. Currently it is the seat of the University Centre at Masaryk University in Brno.
7. Name of Jesus Church
Originally a Jesuit church founded by the Countess Francesca Slavatové which was completed in 1667. The temple was built in sober Baroque style with large boats and rich stucco decoration is unusually facing the square side facade which has elements of Renaissance style. The interior of the church is Baroque. Under the church is a large crypt formerly serving as a tomb.
8. Jesuit Gymnasium
In 1673 the Jesuits set up a house of Latin grammar school and left it in 1703 to rebuild for school supplies. Jesuit high school in 1774 replaced the main school and in 1852 there was a junior secondary school the first in Moravia with instruction in the language. Today sensitively restored seat of detached workplace of the Czech Technical University in Prague.
9.  Rectory
The original town parsonage was on the parcel Jesuit church. The present parsonage was built on the site of two older houses elevated on two floors in 1773 - 1785. Above the portal is preserved year 1783. The building from the beginning mainly serve the purpose for which it was built.
10. Townhall
The massive building was created by combining two Gothic houses. The first reports about the town hall from the year 1443 the report from 1449 says that Hall accidentally flew into the air. During the 16th century town hall burned probably twice. In 1574 Renaissance reconstruction was finished with extraordinarily-designed facade. It is one of the few buildings in Europe faced with a high order. Besides the iron entrance gates rate of one fathom showing the elbow and brand altitude city of 522.5 meters. On the front wall in the arcade is equipped with a plaque commemorating the registration center in the UNESCO list in 1992.
11. House no. 15
Corner townhouse with oriel windows with stone jambs. On the façade sgraffito decoration from the second half of the 16th century discovered and restored in 1952. The sgraffito depicts scenes of the Crucifixion, Saul and David, Justice and others including images of the original appearance of the building with an attic floor and battlements.
12. City walls
Urban medieval defense system were ponds and continuous fortification. Walls were created in the 14th century it was originally about nine meters high in the 17th century increased to 10.5 meters and finished cornice. On the southeast side of the city walls are preserved in the original amount. In Hradební street in the walls preserve the little gate to water originally it was the only place besides the gates which were open walls. Near the Upper Gate there is the last surviving cylindrical Romanesque castle bastion.
13. The top (upper) gate
The upper gate building from the 2nd half of the 16th century decorated with sgraffito. Above the center of the passage of the five-petalled rose with the year 1629 which is likely tied to the time of repair walls. A little higher still one gate was demolished in 1833. The place where standing is noticeable due to the narrowing of Palacky ulice.
14. Church of the  Holy Gost
Romanesque church tower is the oldest monument in the town. Its original purpose was to guard the tower. The original Romanesque church was rebuilt in the late 15th century in the Gothic style especially the presbytery with the star vault. He served as the chapel of the town hospital. At the end of the 18th century the church was closed also he served as a warehouse city theater. In 1922 it was sold to the Czechoslovak evangelical faith.
15. House no. 32
House emerges into the square has a late Baroque facade which was founded around 1800. In 1655 the house was bought nobility and installed a kitchen for aristocratic officials. On Holy Thursday here until the abolition of Joseph II in 1782 distribute the poor sweet porridge.
16. House no. 39
Renaissance house with Baroque facade. On the side wall board is fitted to remind you that here in high school lived in the years 1883 - 1887 poet Otokar Březina.
17. Plague column
Is located middle of the square made it sculptor David Lipart in 1720 from the legacy of wealthy burghers Susan Feast. The pedestal columns are located at St. John of Nepomuk, Jakub, Francis Xaverius, Roch, Sebastian and the Guardian Angel. The cave is St. Rosalie and Maria Magdalena on top of the pillar P. Maria.
18. Fountains
Fountains on square area in its eastern half. Lower fountain was in a wooden form for Zacharias of Hradec. Stone appearance won in 1611 the statue of St. Margaret patron saint of the city is from the 2nd half of the 17th century. Upper fountain is later also originally wooden adjusted to its present form in 1827 and decorate it with a small statue of Dionysus Silena in arms.
19. Houses no. 43, 44, 45 
Group of houses without arcades built on the site of one of the original exits existing before the founding town.
20. House no. 47
House with an elevated backdrop building originally a burgher brewery in 1807 adapted to the two-class school for girls. 1863 for higher industrial grade floor and parked adjusted staircase. At the turn of the 19th and 20th century mansion publish Emil Šolc.
21. House no. 59
House with a typical baroque facade of the second quarter of the 18th century have façade acts wrought cross. On the ground floor is the Renaissance Mazhauz which builds a tunnel leading to the courtyard. This is available to most homes with Baroque reconstruction.
22. House no. 61
The house bought in 1532 Michael Baker who later became mayor of the city. In 1532 the house was rebuilt and had to decorate probably by artists working in a castle graffiti OT 11 commanders (pharaoh, Adonijah, Aza, David, Goliath, Saul, Sarah, Sennacherib, Nebuchadnezzar, Holofernes, Antiochus). Sgraffito was discovered in 1953 during restoration of the house. Above the window in the gable of the year 1555.
23. House no. 62
It the house is preserved part of the original stone entrance to forge "mazhaus" ceiling is richly decorated. The inventory includes "mazhaus" ancient cross with a legend. The house has served since 1883 under various names as savings institution.
24. House no. 71
Original manor granary from 1576 as part of the construction of the castle. Later the building served various authorities. Today is the seat of the unicipal Library and the Basic Art School. Chamber Hall in the rear wing for the school and public.
25. Lower (small) part of the fortifications gates and immediately adjacent to the castle. It dates from 1579 when the castle was rebuilt. Before resting below the original Gothic gate used to be a moat spanned by a drawbridge. Lower gate is based on the city over the dam Štěpnický pond to the central parking. Revard  for the time that you spent in Telč you were numerous meetings with history in an enchanted fairytale castles and picturesque square.
VLOŽIL: Petr Mach (28.02.2017) , UPRAVIL: Eliška Rodová (26.04.2021)
Historie města
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere
Telčské podzemí
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere
Akce pořádané ve městě Telči
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere
Telčské listy
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere
Virtuální prohlídka
Další povídání z anotačního textu v administraci ....
Go somewhere

V Ě Ž   s v .   D U C H A

interaktivní expozice o historii a současnosti města

Předpověď počasí pro Telč

Partneři města TELČ

Unesco UtilityReport Mobilní rozhlas Kraj Vysočina Golf resort Telč Sdruzeni obci Vysociny VAS Česká inspirace CET Mikroregion Telčsko

Město Telč podporuje

PS Smetana
Průvan - PS Santini
Mažoretky Telč
Kulturní spolek Oblast
Muzejní spolek
Společnost telčské místní dráhy
Český svaz chovatelů
Český svaz zahrádkářů
Mezi dvěma branami
Spolek Javořice
Divadelní spolek Za paravánem
Divadelní spolek Drdivadlo
Spolek Na větvi
Sdílení o.p.s.
PDT volnočasový z.s. (Panský dvůr Telč)
SK Telč
Sokol Telč.
Autoklub Tourservis Telč Automoto klub
Autoklub Tourservis Telč Kynologický klub
Autoklub Tourservis Telč Potápěčský klub
Autoklub Tourservis Telč Střelecký klub
Klub českých turistů Telč
Jednota Orel Telč
BK Žabaři Telč
Krasobruslařský klub Telč z.s.
Florbal Telč z.s.
Spolek telčských velocipedistů
Croquet club Dynamo Telč